5 Tips for Choosing the Right Office Desk
You spend a lot of time sitting behind the desk in your office, so it's certainly important to make a wise selection when shopping for a new one. Consider these five key factors the next time you're in the market for a new desk, and remember that OEC is standing by to assist.
5 Important Desk Selection Considerations
1. Office Decor Be sure that the desk you select blends well with the rest of the furniture in your office if you aren't purchasing all new furniture. Mixing wood finishes, for example, can lead to a pieced-together look rather than the polished, professional style that you want. Verify that the color and style (i.e., contemporary or traditional) will coordinate well with other items you have.
2. Budget Desks are available in a wide variety of price points, and pricing variations are typically directly related to quality. Avoid going with the cheapest possible desk, as it likely won't hold up to the rigors of daily use. However, you don't have to go to the opposite extreme either. For example, some solid wood desks are quite affordable, and some styles with veneer finishes are good quality.
3. Desk Size Avoid purchasing a desk that is too small to simultaneously hold your computer and the other items that you use multiple times each day while also allowing room to work. Choose a desk that is large enough to provide the work surface that you need, but avoid selecting one that takes up too much space in your office. Massive desks can be visually overpowering, and they often waste valuable real estate that you need for visitor chairs or other furniture items.
4. Drawer Storage Consider your storage needs when selecting a desk. A desk with very few drawers may have modern visual appeal, but such a desk might not be practical. However, a desk with more drawers than you will actually use can seem too cluttered and busy. Think about what items you need to keep within easy reach when you are seated and use that information to determine how much drawer space you need.
5. Technology Needs Consider your technology-specific needs. For example, do you need a desk with a sliding keyboard tray? Do you need one that has built-in openings to accommodate multiple electric cords? Do you need these openings to be on the top of your desk or the sides, or both? Carefully think through where you will place, and how you will power, your computer and any peripheral or mobile devices that you use at work before making your final desk selection.
OEC Can Help
Contact OEC today to find out how our team of experts can help you choose the perfect desk for your needs. With so many available options, we can help you make the right choice, assisting with the selection of a desk that is just as functional as it is attractive and sturdy.
Tweet LinkedIn Google+